Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Today I learned about Madison...

The most rewarding thing about working with Nussentials is knowing that 5% of the company's revenue goes to feed hungry children, through an association with Children Incorporated.

I contacted Children Incorporated (through our company's rep support group) so that I could get information and start corresponding with a little girl in Appalachia who is benefitting from our program. Today I received the information along with a photograph of a sweet little pre-schooler from Kentucky. Her name is Madison...

She has that same mischievous smile that I see in the pre-school pictures my mother took of me over 45 years ago. The short bio they provided explained that she is well-liked, a "social butterfly" and "her dearest wish just now is to have new socks!"

And I wondered if I have the fortitude to make a few calls from the comfort and safety of my brand new, well-furnished, well-equipped office, and possibly suffer hearing a few people say "no" to our products or our opportunity. We are worlds apart - the "No's" that she hears hurt much more deeply than any I will ever hear over the phone from a customer or prospective business partner. I hope over the years to bridge that gap at least for her.

I'm going to add her photo to my vision board. Someday I hope to meet her, but meanwhile I'll correspond and with her and encourage her, and hope she knows that the world does care about her.

No comments: